Saturday, January 22, 2011

What does my testimony depend on?

On Wednesday Night, I had the opportunity to go have an interview with a member of my Stake Presidency to renew my temple recommend.  When I got to the Stake Center, I noticed that everybody that was there for an interview was dressed up in Sunday dress clothes. . . . and I was dressed in jeans and a t-shirt.  I decided to not let it bother me and sat down to wait in line for my interview.  
Well . . . after a few minutes, one of the stake clerks asked me if he could talk to me in private.  So, we went into a room and he told me that the Stake President asks that all members getting an ordinance interview to dress up in Sunday dress clothes.  I said that I didn't know that, but before I could say anything else, he said, "So . . . could you go home and change your clothes and come back?"  I did not expect him to ask me to do this and was not happy, because I knew it would take me about 20-25 minutes to do that.  Therefore, I replied in a frustrated tone . . . "I can just do the interview next week.  I live somewhat far."  He said, "Well, I guess so, but how far do you live."  I then decided that I should just go home.  I stomped out to my car very angry and embarrassed.
As I was driving home, I thought to myself, I can get really angry and offended, or I can be open to why the Stake Presidency would be so picky.  So, I took a deep breath, and thought about it and realized that if I have to be dressed up to go to the temple, I should be dressed up to go to my interview to get my recommend to go to the temple.
Therefore, I calmed down and changed and came back and got my recommend renewed.  As I reflect on this situation, I thought of how many members of the church get offended by things like what I experienced.  Many go inactive or leave the church, just because of these small and simple things.  When I experienced it, I realized the importance of remembering why I'm LDS and it's because of my testimony.  And . . .my testimony is not conditional.  I must keep strong regardless of experiences I have with members of the church.  Members of the church aren't perfect, but the church is, because its head is Jesus Christ.
Isn't that a great comfort?

2 comments:

  1. An excellent experience to share Jared. It is important to try and keep our feelings in check, even though we get frustrated and annoyed. I've lost my temper so much with Neal lately and often think I'm going to tear my hair out. Thinking of how the Savior would handle this child he's given me is helping me to cope better. It's so nice to read regular posts from you now--hope you get to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post came just on the heal of a bad experience that I had with a church member. As I have thought about my feelings I realized how easy it is for us to crack a door open and that is all Satan needs to get in and cause havoc! When we hold to our testimony it keeps those doors we don't want open locked up tight and allows the Savior to be the center! Thanks for sharing. You strengthened me today!!

    ReplyDelete