Saturday, September 29, 2012

My Master's Audition Journey

In my last semester at BYU I had the opportunity to audition at five universities around the nation in hopes of pursuing my master's degree in violin performance at one of them.  I tried out at:

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN


UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND
 
 
  UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS
INDIANA UNIVERSITY: JACOBS SCHOOL OF MUSIC


AND

FLORIDA STATE UNIVERSITY


It was a crazy semester full of lots of traveling and stress.  I learned a lot about myself as a performer and my eyes were opened to what music schools are like around the nation.  After the expensive, intense process that I paid a lot of money out of my pocket for, I was accepted to 3 schools:

University of Maryland, Florida State University, and University of Illinois

These were all three very good choices for music schools and I had a hard choice to make.  But, in the end, only one of the schools offered me a graduate assistantship where my tuition would be covered: Florida State University

I thought long and hard about this and prayed about it a lot . . . but in the end the decision was clear.  In mid April I declared that I would be attending Florida State University in Tallahassee, FL for my master's degree in Violin Performance starting in Fall of 2012.

With that part of my future clear I graduated from BYU in April and drove all of my stuff home with my parents to Emporia, KS with a bit of an open, somewhat clear summer ahead of me.

1 comment: