After arriving in Kansas in late April, I jumped right into preparing for a violin recital that I wanted to play for my friends and family in the Kansas area. Now, I can honestly say that I must have been crazy to do this recital, because it was the hardest recital of my life and I was not very well-prepared. Here is the recital poster that my sister-in-law, Chanda helped me make:
As you can see from the poster I played two Paganini caprices, Recitativo and Scherzo by Fritz Kreisler, The Lark Ascending by Ralph Vaughn-Williams, and to end the recital, Jean Sibelius' Violin Concerto. It was wonderful music, but I wasn't incredibly happy with my performance. Somehow, though, the audience enjoyed it.
Earlier in the month of May I took a trip out to Maryland to spend time with friends and had the opportunity to look around the sites of Washington D.C. I also saw an incredible performance of Mahler's Resurrection Symphony. While I was there I had the opportunity to spend time with my surrogate big sister, Amy Norton who was out there on a tour with a choir. Here's a picture of us in the Washington D.C. temple visitor's center:
After my recital and Washington D.C. experience, my summer had only just begun. My brother Jeremy and I took a three week Europe tour through England, France, Italy, Austria, and the Czech Republic. Now, this trip was truly amazing and I could make a TON of blog entries about it, but instead I made a lengthy slideshow that I would love to show anybody who has not seen it. This described the trip well. Unfortunately, the millions of pictures I had I left in Kansas. So . . .I have nothing to post. But, please, see the slideshow. There are plenty of pictures there :)
After I got back in late June, I had a little bit of time at home in Kansas where I taught a few violin students, took a few viola lessons from my father, but the biggest event of my time right after my Europe trip was being able to spend a week up at my sister, Angela's house before and after she had her new baby, Anna.
My niece, Ariel and I got to babysit Angela and Russell's kids: Sam and Lily
They were such a joy to babysit. All kids have their quirks, but all I can remember from babysitting them was how adorable they are and how much I love them.
In mid July, I went with my parents on a trip to Dellafield, Wisconsin to visit my Aunt Heidi and her husband Randy. I truly enjoyed this trip and was grateful I finally got to see Heidi in her post-Utah environment. I can say that my aunt truly makes a difference wherever she goes and it seems that the people there truly love her.
Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from our trip, but I promise you we had a blast!
About a week after my Wisconsin adventure my family drove out to Utah for family reunions on both my mom and dad's side of the family. I admit that it was a bit weird to return to Utah. I was excited to go out there, because I already really missed the people I had come so close to over the years. When I arrived there I felt like I was home, but after a while I realized that I was leaving all over again and I was suddenly very confused about where I belonged. I had felt like I belonged in Utah, but now I had to move on. I didn't feel like I really belonged in Kansas anymore. So, there over the summer, while it was great to be with family, I felt a bit lost.
As the end of August approached, it started to hit me that I was going to be moving to Tallahassee, Florida to start my master's degree at Florida State University. For the first time in my life I was going to move to a place where I had no family and friends close by. I knew I would make friends eventually, but I was still terrified of the transition and adjustments I was going to experience. At the same time, I was excited to experience a new place.
When I look back on my summer I could focus on the uncertainty I felt as I transitioned between a Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree, but there was more to it than that. I had the opportunity to spend time with my family a lot more than I have been able to in the last few years. To all members of my family that I spent time with this summer, thank you for the wonderful lives you live.
Adam, Chanda, Ariel, Courtland, Bryant, and Faith
Thank you for a wonderful summer. Thank you for letting me spent countless hours at your house making theEurope slideshow. Thanks for letting my hang out with you at Worlds of Fun, BYU, Boondocks, and so forth. Thank you for always being excited to have me over and being so hospitable every time I was at your house. And a shout out to Ariel . . . thanks for babysitting Angela's kids with me and letting me show you BYU. Wherever you decide to go for college, I am glad I was able to share an important part of my life with you.
Jeremy
First of all, thanks for a very eventful trip to Europe. It couldn't have been nearly as fun and meaningful without you. Thank you for your generosity of my making it possible so that I could even go to Europe again. In a time of my life where I am so low in finances, you gave me a present I could have never dreamed of. Thank you, thank you and thank you again. And . . . please forgive me for any of my rude behavior this summer. I was going through a lot of emotions that I was having a hard time understanding because of the time of my life and you had to witness a lot of those emotions. Sorry for that. When I look back, all I can think about is that wonderful experiences we had.
Jacob, Tonya, Aurora, Leia, and Violet
I am struggling finding a picture of your family on-line. But, I just want to say how grateful I am for the time I got to spend with you this summer. Thank you for the lunches at Amanda's, the dinners at your house, the chance to babysit your children , the deep conversations about life and about movies and theater. Thanks for the game nights and thanks for raising adorable children. I'll see you at Thanksgiving!
Angela and Russell
It was such a pleasure making trips to McPherson and witnessing the wonderful lifestyle you have set-up for your family. I was so grateful to get to know your children in a new way and have some good talks with both of you. Thank you for the food, the hospitality, and the support in things like my recital. I look forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving.
Mom and Dad
It was truly a blessing to spend time with you both more this summer. I really couldn't ask for better parents. Thank you for your continuous sacrifice to me and the rest of the family. On top of that, I can't express how grateful I am for your continuous generosity in supporting me financially so that I can achieve my greatest academic dreams. Even when I think I have things under control financially life has its surprises and then I find myself in a tight financial situation. Well, in these situations you two don't hesistate to help all you can. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It hasn't gone to waste. I have had some many wonderful experiences at BYU and now at Florida State. I wouldn't trade these experiences for the world. I love you both and can't tell you how thankful I am for you and how you have lived your life.
Unfortunately, I don't have pictures from our trip, but I promise you we had a blast!
About a week after my Wisconsin adventure my family drove out to Utah for family reunions on both my mom and dad's side of the family. I admit that it was a bit weird to return to Utah. I was excited to go out there, because I already really missed the people I had come so close to over the years. When I arrived there I felt like I was home, but after a while I realized that I was leaving all over again and I was suddenly very confused about where I belonged. I had felt like I belonged in Utah, but now I had to move on. I didn't feel like I really belonged in Kansas anymore. So, there over the summer, while it was great to be with family, I felt a bit lost.
As the end of August approached, it started to hit me that I was going to be moving to Tallahassee, Florida to start my master's degree at Florida State University. For the first time in my life I was going to move to a place where I had no family and friends close by. I knew I would make friends eventually, but I was still terrified of the transition and adjustments I was going to experience. At the same time, I was excited to experience a new place.
When I look back on my summer I could focus on the uncertainty I felt as I transitioned between a Bachelor's Degree and Master's Degree, but there was more to it than that. I had the opportunity to spend time with my family a lot more than I have been able to in the last few years. To all members of my family that I spent time with this summer, thank you for the wonderful lives you live.
Adam, Chanda, Ariel, Courtland, Bryant, and Faith
Thank you for a wonderful summer. Thank you for letting me spent countless hours at your house making theEurope slideshow. Thanks for letting my hang out with you at Worlds of Fun, BYU, Boondocks, and so forth. Thank you for always being excited to have me over and being so hospitable every time I was at your house. And a shout out to Ariel . . . thanks for babysitting Angela's kids with me and letting me show you BYU. Wherever you decide to go for college, I am glad I was able to share an important part of my life with you.
Jeremy
First of all, thanks for a very eventful trip to Europe. It couldn't have been nearly as fun and meaningful without you. Thank you for your generosity of my making it possible so that I could even go to Europe again. In a time of my life where I am so low in finances, you gave me a present I could have never dreamed of. Thank you, thank you and thank you again. And . . . please forgive me for any of my rude behavior this summer. I was going through a lot of emotions that I was having a hard time understanding because of the time of my life and you had to witness a lot of those emotions. Sorry for that. When I look back, all I can think about is that wonderful experiences we had.
Jacob, Tonya, Aurora, Leia, and Violet
I am struggling finding a picture of your family on-line. But, I just want to say how grateful I am for the time I got to spend with you this summer. Thank you for the lunches at Amanda's, the dinners at your house, the chance to babysit your children , the deep conversations about life and about movies and theater. Thanks for the game nights and thanks for raising adorable children. I'll see you at Thanksgiving!
Angela and Russell
It was such a pleasure making trips to McPherson and witnessing the wonderful lifestyle you have set-up for your family. I was so grateful to get to know your children in a new way and have some good talks with both of you. Thank you for the food, the hospitality, and the support in things like my recital. I look forward to seeing you at Thanksgiving.
Mom and Dad
It was truly a blessing to spend time with you both more this summer. I really couldn't ask for better parents. Thank you for your continuous sacrifice to me and the rest of the family. On top of that, I can't express how grateful I am for your continuous generosity in supporting me financially so that I can achieve my greatest academic dreams. Even when I think I have things under control financially life has its surprises and then I find myself in a tight financial situation. Well, in these situations you two don't hesistate to help all you can. Thank you, thank you, and thank you again. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. It hasn't gone to waste. I have had some many wonderful experiences at BYU and now at Florida State. I wouldn't trade these experiences for the world. I love you both and can't tell you how thankful I am for you and how you have lived your life.





No comments:
Post a Comment