I started out the week of July 12th hoping that EFY would take me on as a counselor even though I hadn't been hired for it already, but unfortunately they had not a single opening in all four sessions in Provo that week for counselors. I admit I was quite sad, because EFY is such a great experience. Also, I was worried about having money to buy food, because I wouldn't get my first EFY paycheck until the end of the week. Expressing this concern to my good friend, Will Taylor, who is in my ward, he, without question, handed me a 20 dollar bill and told me I could pay him back. Thanks Will!
But . . .
Even though I was sad about not getting a job at EFY, I ended up doing some great things during the week.
On Monday night through Tuesday night I had the opportunity to go spend some time with Jonathan and Erica's family and Janell, Erica's Mom.
I absolutely loved playing with Maddie and Evan. Unfortunately, I only have this picture above, but it was great as Evan opened up to me and had me play with all his little toy balls. I thoroughly enjoyed him demonstrating his man strength as he pushed a very heavy shopping cart at Cosco without help from Jonathan and I. Maddie was also such a joy as she handed me all her different barbie dolls and princess dolls asking me to do their voices. I was surprised that the voices came off as so convincing. I'm sorry that I didn't take a picture of that. Jonathan and Erica, your kids are adorable.
I loved spending time with you and them and Janell. Thank you!
Later in the week, Alena and Mike graciously invited me to come over to their house on Friday night. Alena made a marvelous dinner of Chicken Cordon Bleu, scallop potatoes, canteloupe, carrots, broccoli, and delicious banana muffins. I helped a little bit, and I loved every minute.
After dinner, we played one of Mike's games that I had never played called Taj Mahal. I really liked it. Even though I was lucky and won, that was not the reason I liked it. It was a nice simple game that had a good balance between strategy and luck. Thanks Mike for introducing it.
The next day, I had a wonderful time with my little buddy/nephew, Neal. Every time I see him, he gives me this smile.
After spending time with my nieces and nephews, I can't help but think of the time when I'll become a father. What a joy that will be.
On the evening of Saturday night, Alena and I went to our good friend, Amy Norton's house, in Provo and watched the last two episodes of the show, "Pushing Daisies and ate delicious pie.
"Pushing Daisies" is a very quirky, complicated show, but basically it's about a pie maker, which is why we ate pie while watching it.
Alena and I made key lime pie and mixed berry pie and as you can see, it was rather delightful.
Overall, the week was a delight and I realized that a week off from EFY was a good idea.








No comments:
Post a Comment