Sunday, March 27, 2011

Floating Islands . .. . what?!!!

So . . . I'm sorry I haven't written an entry in a while.  I was planning on posting my Senior Recital Video so that everybody could watch it that wanted to, but that's going to be delayed a little while longer, but it will be posted.

On another note . .. . lately I've realized that I seem to come in contact with a variety of WEIRD people on a daily basis.  In the last year, my ward here at Alta Apartments has been filling with more . . . and more . . . and more weird, awkward people.

Well, my point of tolerance for awkward, weird people hit its peak on Thursday, March 17th.  I had a violin lesson with on of my BYU students at 2:00 in the afternoon.  When my student came into the lesson he told me he needed to tell me something important.  He told me that he had dropped all his classes.  I asked him why and he said that he was . . . .

MOVING TO TENNESSEE
AND  .....

WAS GOING TO COLLECT RECYCLABLE MATERIALS . .. 

AND ....

WAS GOING TO MAKE HIMSELF OUT OF THESE RECYCLABLE MATERIALS A ......

FLOATING ISLAND!!!

I looked at him and said . . .. "Are you serious?"  He replied confidently, "Oh yes."

He said that he was going to float this island down the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico and was going to make it big enough so that he could build a house on it.  He claimed it was easier than getting a college degree and that he would be able get away from US politics, which he hates.
I asked him if he was Mormon.  He said that he wasn't.  I then asked him if he wanted to get married.  He said that he wasn't seeing that as a priority, but . . . .
he assured me that he liked girls.  Whew! . . . .. Thank goodness.

So, he told me that that lesson was going to be our last lesson and that he wanted me to teach him everything I knew about the violin in about 20 minutes.  So . . . . he videotaped the lesson and I taught him a crash course in violin playing.  Of course that it was way too much and that I would never do that, but I thought I would endulge him and let him go on his special ..... um .... island adventure.  
After all, he did say he was taking his violin with him on the island .. . . . Isn't that great?
 
Oh . . .. what is the world coming to??????


1 comment:

  1. Okay, how did I miss this out-of-this-world story? I can hardly believe this happened to you. I mean, where do people come up with these ideas? What does a 20 minute crash coarse in violin look like? Do you still have enough students now to make ends meet? Perhaps you are better off finding a student a little more stable though. Really Jared, some of your life experiences are out of this world strange!

    ReplyDelete