Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Best Chair Audition I've Ever Had

After my recital was over, I made a goal to really be on top of learning orchestra music.  Well, in the BYU Philharmonic we had re-seating auditions kind of late in the semester.  Since I've been sitting sixth stand, which is the very back of the first row of the first violin section, I was ready to move up.  It's hard to sit in the back in orchestra, because you can't hear anything and you have to pretty much stare at the conductor the whole time to make sure your not behind.

Well . . . . . 

On Saturday morning, March 26th I went to warm-up for my audition and I felt relaxed and decided that it didn't matter where I sat in the orchestra.  It was enough of a joy to just play in a great orchestra.


With this attitude I approached Kory's office.  When I walked in to play behind a screen, I didn't think much of the fact that there were people on the other people of that screen judging my playing.  I just played my best.  


And . . . it went really well. . . . in fact I think it's the best I've ever played for a chair audition.

The following Monday, I went to check the results hoping I moved up one or two chairs.  It turned out I did better than that.

I saw that I was sitting 4th Chair 1st violin!  That means I moved up 7 seats from 11th chair to 4th chair.  I was overwhelmed with gratitude for the progress I had made this year.  After my recital going so well, this was truly an icing on the cake!

No comments:

Post a Comment