I read a talk today by a prophet of God who was prophet for a very short time: Howard W. Hunter. The talk is titled "Being a Righteous Husband and Father." In my years in college as a single adult, it has always been easy for me to tune out talks like this. It is easy to have thoughts like, "It could be a long time before I become a husband or father. . . I am not sure if that will ever even happen." Today, I decided that talks like this definitely apply to me, because being a husband and a father is a sacred thing and if I am preparing myself to be a good husband and father, the Lord will know where my heart is and will be pleased that I have faith that I will sometime have this opportunity.
What can I do to prepare for fatherhood and marriage in my own life? I have done it in a few ways so far, but lack in some areas. Here are a few ideas that come to my head that are not ranked in any particular order. They are just things that come to my head.
1. Do all I can to establish a career that I not only love, but will support a family.
2. Learn how to work with children.
3. Learn how to put others first and care about their needs before mine. This involves serving others.
4. Be worthy to a temple recommend
5. Make Scripture Study and Prayer a priority in my life
6. Learn how to manage my finances effectively
7. Put the Lord first - Make his gospel a priority
8. Make time for people I care about, because when I get married, I need to make sure I can do this for my family.
9. Magnify my priesthood calling
There are many more things I am sure are important that I forgot, but it really hit me today that this is the time for me to become a man that the type of woman I would like to marry would want to be with for eternity. I forget this way too often and it is time I stayed more on track.
No comments:
Post a Comment